Monday, April 11, 2011

Netbackup Generate list of TapeIDs to Eject (bpimagelist)

Netbackup Administration is fairly easy and a straightforward process, and in my opinion not as automated as I would like.  Unix based installation may be better at automation via scripts, but at least in my experience dealing with a Windows installation I’ve not seen to much automation. 

I’ve tried to automate the process of Tape removal from the library but I’ve not been able t make it work.  One of my challenges has been automatically generating the list of media to eject.  I’ve read in Forum posts on how to incorporate bpimagelist in a netbackup exit script , which would generate a file with associated TapeIDs of the completed job, but I ‘ve not seen one for a Windows install.  In the meantime this what I use to generate the media list. 

1.    Query the Catalog for a specific date in which a full job completed. 
2.    Use the result of the query to fill in the info needed by the bpimagelist command. 
3.    Info needed
-d Date of job
-Client ClientName
-l
-policy PolicyName
-backupid  BackupID
4. On a command Prompt CD to default install path
admincmd\bpimagelist -d 10/29/2010 -client megatron01 -l -policy megatronPol
 -backupid megatron-_1288325930 -media>C:\scripts\TapeID.txt

This produces a text file with the associated TapeIDs that can then be used with vmchange.exe to eject the tapes. 


Symantec TechNote



..........

No comments:

Post a Comment